Friday, April 20, 2007

Chapter Three

Things were looking gloomy for my novel. There was no way I would be inspired to finish it. I had no ideas, no plans, no literary experience.

But luckily, I did have a professor up my sleeve. He also taught me that's called a metaphor! I never knew such a crazy, rhetorical world could result from putting words to paper. All this time, I thought paper was an excuse to kill tall, vibrant, tree-like trees.

Professor Xavier gave me some brilliant advice. He told me that Chapter 2 is always the hardest and that I should "Skip it and write Chapter 3".

Such advice could only come from a degree-yielding telepath.

And so I got to work on Chapter 3:

Fountains of the Abyss

Chapter Three


"Help!" Bethany screamed, as she dangled by her semi-see-through nightgown from a tall, vibrant, tree-like bush. The cold night air dampened her cries, but from inside his hotel room, Doug heard her yell through his open balcony door.

He dashed outside and immediately extended his hand, just as the nightgown ripped and she began to plummet. Her hand gripped his tightly and she swung into the plexiglass window of the room below. Her body bounced off the glass-plastic hybrid and using the momentum, Doug pulled her up onto his balcony.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"I'm fine," she said, "now."

"What happened?"

"It's your father. He took everything! He took all of my jewelry, even the pearls my grandmother left me, and then he pushed me off the balcony and left."


Well, that's enough for now. I don't want to overdo it.

No comments: