Thursday, April 19, 2007

Down the Drain

I stared at the blank Microsoft Word document in front of me. Chapter One was completed and behind me. And next was Chapter Two. And it was staring blankly into my eyes.

"What am I going to do?" I asked aloud.

I waited. Well, I didn't really wait. God didn't reply right away, so I assumed no matter how long I would have waited, he still would ignore me. I guess that's the problem with not believing.

I rose to my feet and started shouting. "CHAPTER 2, what are you???"

I lifted my arms up in the air and growled loudly. This was a technique from my old high school English class to solve writers' block. Or it could have been an old dodgeball technique for intimidating the enemy. Truth is, I didn't pay much attention in either class.

It wasn't working! Nothing was coming to me. I was feeling that I may be doomed to never finish my novel. And I got angry. So angry I continued growling!

Then I thought about my dream. I could hear the words of little cartoon Linderman.

"Patience! A Jedi must be patient. Be in the moment, Bennet. Don't think about the past or pot pies. Think about now!"


Pot pies?? What the heck is he talking about? That doesn't help me!

So now what? Do I give up? Do I flush the dream of being a novelist? Well, metaphorically that is, since the bucket they gave me doesn't have flushing capabilities.

5 comments:

Sylar said...

dont give up hope mr glasses! it may b 2 much 4 me 2 read but im a idiot so dont go by me! u kin do it!

Professor Xavier said...

Chapter 2 is always the hardest. You know what I do when I'm stuck on that one? Skip it and write Chapter 3.

Mr. Bennet said...

I see why you're a professor!

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Ever think of introducing a dashing hero. A man from earth who has taken up the mantle of, oh I don't know, an Intergalactic Gladiator or something who fights for justice and to save his home planet?

Nah, no one would believe that would they?

Mr. Bennet said...

It is a rather absurd premise, Jon. I think the wheelchair man is right. But maybe there can be a gladiator in Chapter 3, but an intergalactic one? Sounds kinda cheesy, no?